I found in my reading today in Cassie’s blog that Claudia has a needle storage issue. I am like a lot of other knitters in that I have many, many sets of circular needles, many of which are the same size and length. (Non-knitters, my husband in particular, just don’t get it. You sometimes have to buy duplicates of what you already have because a) your needles are already in a project, b) you are away from home and need to start knitting right now or c) you are too lazy to look for the set you already own, and if you go to the store to buy a new set, you may find That Wool you’ve been waiting for your whole life.) I used to keep my circulars in the original cases, filed in order of size in a cute little box, until one day I realized that I hate having to soak/steam/straighten needles every time I want to start a new project. After all, time is very important at the beginning of a project; you must strike while the iron is hot, so to speak, and that three minute delay could mean…well, I’m just lazy and I want to start knitting immediately.
My solution was to take a piece of plywood, and drill rows of holes in graduated sizes. I did the bare minimum of sanding, painted it, labelled each row of holes to correspond to my needle sizes, and stood it on the floor in my studio/office/craft repository. I poked each set of needles through a hole in the corresponding row, and the other end is allowed to dangle and be free. The theory is sound.
I actually used it like this for a couple of years, even though the intention was to hang it horizontally on the wall. Vertically, the dangling needles tangled, and I would pull out some 4.5’s and get a half dozen assorted sets. I keep a needle gauge handy in case I don’t trust my filing, and I did keep all the original cases just in case. (In case of what? WHAT? Maybe if I move? I’m more likely to just stuff them all into a shoebox, but still bring all the original cases. Just in case.) So, this morning, after reading Claudia’s comment, I descended to the basement to assess the situation and take pictures for the blog. A light bulb went on over my head and I realized that I had a perfectly good narrow ledge shelf from that Swedish store on the opposite wall that was sitting empty, and lugged the needle board across the room to its new home.
I took advantage of my new horizontality to label 40, 60, 80 and 100 cm lengths at the top of the board.
Less needle tangle! I have solved a problem! I am woman, hear me roar! I am always amazed how a small accomplishment like that can make my day. I think I’ll go and have lunch. Woo hoo.